Black beans. I cannot express my love for these glorious legumes enough. Versatle, quick to cook, and pretty to look at, these beans are a necessary staple in any kitchen. They can be snuck in brownies, put in grain salads, or be the star of the show like this simple sweet potato hash!
My favourite breakfast of all time is a tabouli and falafel plate. A very close second is cold lasagna. Brunch is often a painful affair, as most of the population doesn’t consider either of those things to be ‘breakfast’ foods. So I developed this recipe/guideline when the inevitable invite to a potluck brunch came my way. It is cleverly disguised breakfast fare that could easily be made for dinner. In fact, it tastes delicious at dinner! (To make it more like a dinner, don’t cut the sweet potato, but bake it whole. Voila – stuffed black bean sweet potato!) Best described as “Tex-Mex”, I like my black bean sweet potato hash to pack a punch. Lots of jalapeno is a must, with cumin undertones to give it depth. A dash of lime juice and fresh cilantro make their presence known just as you are recovering from the heat of the jalapeno and ready for your next bite! The sweet potatoes also add a nice contrast to the black beans – the two are a perfect match.
Many people have many versions of this dish – this is just my take. I gleaned ideas from various cookbooks, websites, and what is generally in my fridge at any given time. Feel free to go wild with the substitutions – spicier, milder, more/less curry, whatever you are feeling at that moment throw into the pot! I have yet to have a bad version, and I’m fairly certain I’ve never made it the same way twice. So next time you are faced with a potluck brunch, keep this recipe in mind. Sure to be a crowd pleaser and a refreshing change from the rivers of maple syrup that is sure to be flowing!
Black Bean-Sweet Potato Hash
1 sweet potato, cut into 5cm cubes
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, diced
2-3 jalapenos, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (or 1.5 cups cooked)
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 tbsp. lime juice (to taste)
Chili flakes to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro for garnish
1) Place cubed sweet potato in large skillet, and cover bottom with water (~ 5cm deep).
2) Cover skillet and cook at medium-high until sweet potato tender. Add water as necessary if too dry.
(Note: if you own a microwave, you could just cook the sweet potato as you normally would)
3) When sweet potato is tender, pour out excess water (if necessary).
4) Add oil, onion, and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent.
5) Add red pepper, jalapeno. Saute until pepper soft.
6) Add curry powder, coriander, cumin, ginger, and paprika. Stir.
7) Add black beans and water if mixture dry. Stir and saute until black beans warm.
8) Season with cayenne, lime juice, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Saute on low heat ~5min, until flavours melded.
9) Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!